Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Counting Our Blessings

This is where we were when the tornado sirens went off Sunday afternoon.

Mom, Charity, Zoe, and I spent the afternoon in Joplin unaware of any potential storms. Our last stop was Cherry Berry, a new yogurt place on Rangeline. We were sitting and enjoying our treat and someone announced that the sirens were going off.The manager assured us that the windows were double paned and there was nothing to worry about. They also told us, "You know Joplin, the sirens go off all the time". I called Brad and he said we should probably just stay there. We stayed for a little while and didn't hear the sirens anymore so we decided to leave. We found out later the sirens probably stopped because of the storm.

I looked back later that night at the text I sent Brad that said "leaving", it was sent at 5:30. The tornado hit at 5:40.

I turned on the radio when we got to I-44 and they were yelling that a tornado had touched down in Joplin and we passed an ambulance racing from Seneca on 43. We still didn't know how bad it was until we got home.

I am so saddened by all the stories I have heard. I feel awful for Matt and Tiffany's mom and the other workers who have to see so many horrible things. It makes me tremble to know we could have been there with our girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment