Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad!

Today is my Dad's Birthday. 
Growing up my dad could do no wrong.  He was always the one I came to when I was sad or needed advice.  Even in college, when I would call and ask for Dad, Mom knew something was wrong.  After Brad and I were married, I remember still calling him, and after a few times he told me that Brad was the man I needed to share my troubles with, not him.  Now that I'm a parent that must have been so hard for him to do, but he was completely right.  I love the way he treats my mom and I want to be that kind of spouse to Brad.

When I became a teacher I knew from day one that I wanted to be the kind of influence that he had been on students and even parents for so many years.  In fact, in my interview with Mr. Cook and Mrs. Barker, I told them, "Many people think I will get this job because of who my dad is and the truth is, it would be a huge honor, if you look at me and think of my dad."  I realize I may have a slightly unrealistic view of the impact he's had, but to me it is enormous.  He was always trying to teach more than football or whatever subject he taught. 

He is an amazing papa, who all his grandkids adore.  Cole, especially talks about his pops all the time.  All the grandkids love coming to Nan and Pops house and could stay forever and would probably never miss their parents.

Mostly, I love the Christian example he is to me and so many others.  I always try to remember that, "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing".  God comes first with him.  I guess that's why the impact he has, wherever he is, is so strong. 

I love you Dad.  Happy Birthday.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post!!! I am so grateful for your dad, and so lucky to be part of your family. You know I think your brother is the closest thing to perfect I'll ever find (be flattered, you're so much like him!), and he's like your dad in so many ways. Your dad always does what's right, not what's easy. There are definitely times that I've thought about what Tom would do, to guide me in the right direction. Now, I'd be lying if I said I always DID what Tom would do (case in point, losing my cool on a t-ball coach, IN FRONT of Tom... or having to be carried in the house after the Festival of Trees, to find Tom waiting in the living room for us). He's a genuine good guy and the best example. Happy Birthday, Papa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my greatest accomplishments is that Tom Hodge even knows who I am. He is part of what makes Seneca a great place to live, work, and raise a family. I am honored to know him, AND his family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle you crack me up, are you still bloggin because if so I have got to start following you ;)

    ReplyDelete