Monday, February 6, 2012

Heavy Heart

As many of you know, I've dreamed of staying home with my kids for a long time.  I really do enjoy every minute of it.  It's the best job in the world.  I have to admit though that I sometimes feel a little selfish, I guess because I love it so much.
My heart has always ached for many of the students that I have had in my classes throughout the years. But since I've quit teaching and moved away from so many of them, I feel like there are about a dozen of them that I can't get off my mind.
A couple of them are 20 years old now and then some of them are still in elementary, middle school, and high school.  I hate it that I don't know what is going on with them and wonder if they are okay.  They haunt me constantly.  When they pop into my mind I pray for them, but honestly that doesn't seem like enough.

If you work with kids, you know the type I'm talking about.  They are the ones that usually drive you crazy all day long.  They make your life way harder and you feel like you might hurt them before the end of the day.  They are also the ones you pray for every night and think about all weekend long.  You can't wait to see them on Monday, just to make sure they made it through the weekend and their dysfunctional household.  They are the ones you look at with tears in your eyes and tell them, "God loves you, and so do I."  You wish you could take them home with you, just so they have some kind of chance.

I know teaching can be frustrating.  There is so much pressure and not all of it is in your control.  But I thank God that I know so many amazing, Christian teachers who realize that teaching a child the curriculum isn't the main reason they are there.  I love those teachers and am blessed to call them my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment