Friday, April 27, 2012

Land Run

Zoe's school had Land Run days today.   It was a lot of fun.  Zoe dressed up in pioneer clothes.  
The first time she tried it on she had her bonnet on backwards.  She seriously didn't realize it was on the wrong way.


I'm not sure she thought she looked any better on right though.  As I was putting it on her this morning in the bathroom she said, "Mom, what are you doing to me?"  I said, "Zoe, this is how they dressed."  Then, with a serious face she asked, "Did they have mirrors?"  I guess she thought they wouldn't have dressed so dorky if they had known what it looked like.

She was trying hard to get into character.  

At first, when I would get the camera out, she would look really solemn.  I guess most prairie women weren't very happy.

Then, she started pretending she was a supermodel in her pioneer get up.  




 Yesterday when she got home she said Mrs. Ham put them in families.  She said she and her fake husband already wanted a divorce.
 I watched her run across the street last night to show Aunt Shell her outfit.  She inherited the "Ward speed" so I asked her if her fake family was depending on her to claim their land.  She said her husband was in charge of that and he was quick, small, and a football player.  I told her she better hang on to him until after the run.
 It was so windy today.  They really did yell "Go!" and the boys, who were Dads, ran to claim their land.

 I found Hayden first.  She was with her fake husband and daughter.  She stuck her tongue out at me. I tried to tell her that pioneer women were a little more sophisticated.
 She seemed to be getting along with her fake family okay.

 Then I found Zoe and her family.
 The boy on the right, in the red shirt, is her husband.  The boy in the middle was really getting into character.   He was the youngest of their children and had pudding all over his face.
 This is Zoe's daughter, Macy.  Zoe said she gets Macy in the divorce and Brandon gets the boys.



 Bomber was with me.  He was so good.  Did I mention it was windy?
 I guess third grade boys are too cool to dress like pioneer men.  
 After we ate, the kids went and did some line dancing while we set up the games.  Bomber helped me set up my fish pond.  On each fish there were questions about Oklahoma.  They were really hard.  I practice with Bomber.  His question was, "Name the 5 civilized tribes of Oklahoma".  He looked at me confused so I tried to restate it.  I asked, "Do you know any names of Indians?" He answered, "Travis".

 A lot of the older kids knew the answers.  They said they've been studying Oklahoma in class.


 They had tons of fun games like, Tug of War, Roping, Horse Races, Sunflower Seed Spitting, Butter Making, and many others.

 Zoe said her and Macy just did 3 games then sat and ate pop ice and talked.
Hayden bought Bomber a pop ice.  Bomber said, "It's weird, but Hayden is always really nice to me at school."
 This is Hayden and Wyatt, her husband.

It was a really fun day.  I bet they will be tired when they get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment